PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is the reason for separate military ATC?
Old 19th May 2016, 04:05
junior.VH-LFA

Received 72 Likes on 25 Posts
Dick,

Can I respectfully put to you that contractors are unlikely willing to deploy with extremely minimal notice into warzones where they can be shot at. Not only would they likely be unwilling, but it would be impractical for a lot of reasons. Security Clearances, use of weapons, intergration with other assets, force protection.. the list goes on and on.

We all know how you feel about the RAAF, you've made it clear several times in multiple threads, but RAAF JBACS have deployed into conflict zones, with weapons, several times in the last 15 years. They are well respected and do good work, and there is clearly a place for them within our military. Simply contracting the work out has been biting many branches of Government hard for years now. Sometimes you just need to have the capability in house.. particularly when you want to send it to war. For context, there are several different types of JBACS's within the RAAF, some of whom jump out of aeroplanes and do lots of "green" war like things.

Can I just clarify I'm not making any comments or giving an opinion on RAAF JBAC's domestically at Darwin/Williamtown or any airspace issues.

Cheers.