PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation in "caretaker mode"-I guess the Bureaucrats are in charge?
Old 19th May 2016, 01:45
Frank Arouet

Location: dans un cercle dont le centre est eveywhere et circumfernce n'est nulle part
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aviation in "caretaker mode"-I guess the Bureaucrats are in charge?

What can possibly go wrong?

The following came cross my desk this week and I was struck by similarities with our authorities in The Senate, in various reviews and inquiries. It makes one think that nothing short of a Spanish Inquisition will get the truth and transparencies required to effect any change to the malignant regulatory muddle that has decimated a once vibrant industry.

"We’re all used to a certain amount of doublespeak and bureaucratese in government
hearings. That’s as old as forever. But in the last year of listening to testimony from
government officials, there is something different about the boredom and
indifference with which government testifiers skirt, dodge and with hold the truth. They
don’t seem furtive or defensive; they are not in the least afraid. They speak always with
a certain --they are lawyered up--but they have no evident fear of looking evasive. They
really don’t care what you think of them. They’re running the show and if you don’t like
it, too bad. And all this new bureaucratic style on the national level. During Watergate
those hauled in and grilled by Congress were nervous...But commissioners and
department heads now --they really think they’re in charge. They don’t bother to fake
anxiety about public opinion. They care only about personal legal exposure. The do not
fear public wrath.

Peggy Noonan, “The new Bureaucratic Brazenness,” The Wall Street Journal, October

4-5, 20014, A13".