PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2016, 20:26
NigG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danny

I was hoping to find an explanation for Arthur signing your log book. 84 Sqn had moved to Ratmalana, Ceylon on 19 April '43, in anticipation of a Jap naval attack. It didn't materialise, so they moved back north, to Ranchi, by August. I'll be able to lay my hands on Arthur's log book at the weekend, so hopefully this will shed more light.

Re. modern pilots pulling high G-forces, presumably they do it with the assistance of pressure suits. Maybe your lack of pressure suits had health implications, and it was this that the American medic was concerned about. Who knows? Anyway, you've made it to 94 and my father made it to 100 (albeit with a first stroke when he was 78). So one might legitimately wonder whether this chap was 'crying wolf'.

I wonder if you had any personal experience of the Vengeance's teething problems? On 24 Dec '42, Arthur took one of the squadron's first aircraft on a flight from Jodpur to Delhi, having collected it from the MU at Karachi, earlier in the day. 75 miles out from Jodpur, the engine cut out. He managed to keep it airborne, by madly operating a hand wobble-pump to keep the fuel flowing. They made it back to Jodpur with aching arms but without further incident. It turned out the electrical fuel pumps were faulty. There was however an upside to the story. The Marahajah of Jodpur had made an open invitation for officers to visit his brand new palace, 14 years in the building, the date being Christmas Eve. Arthur and his Nav. went along for the overnight stay. It was a remarkably opulent place, gold taps and door knobs. At dinner they sat around an enormous round table, where a toy train went about on a track to deliver food and condiments! Before departure, they were given gifts by the Marahajah. Arthur's was a very nice silver tankard, inscribed with his name, location and date. We still have it, in a display case. There were some generous-hearted, pro-British Indians, as well as the other lot, who of course, were pushing for Independence.