PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Words of wisdom appreciated
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2016, 13:14
Licence to Learn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concentration!

I had my hour with an instructor to sign my SEP rating off last year after some time away from flying and even though I've been flying on and off for 14 years I found myself doing exactly what you said.

Not getting the flare right, ballooning and even having the instructor grab the controls when I flared a little too much...

These things come with practice, and in a situation where you're going through your PPL where it's all new you'll find yourself trying really hard to remember everything at once, which ultimately makes you tired and frustrated really quickly.

Upon looking back on my experience, this fatigue made my concentration dwindle quite quickly and therefore because I was making sure I'd done by downwind checks, kept the right speed, put on the carb, right flap setting etc. I was finding that my lapse of concentration lead to me not actually concentrating on actually making the aircraft fly where I wanted it to. I'd find myself on finals either too high, too low, too fast etc.

This point has been mentioned before but when turning final make a mental note that you have to take control of the aircraft. Say to yourself "It's here that I normally screw up, so while I have the space firmly but safely fly the aircraft to where you want it to be".

The rest is down to flying the right speed. I don't know what type you're flying but say your approach speed is 65kts... if you've flown the aircraft in to the correct approach position, when your speed settles it will float right down to the numbers and you won't balloon because the physics that some brainy engineer figured out will mean the aircraft will gentle sit on the runway.

Then there's the cross wind landing!

Don't worry, you'll get it.