PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasses - what do you use?
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2016, 21:17
aerobatologist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm also at the age where the old eyeballs are wearing out, I've needed reading glasses for the last 8 years or so. For work (I work in IT) I use prescription progressive lenses which cost a fortune (about $1k), they're excellent and I sometimes use them for flying, but they are wickedly expensive. They take getting used to - the area of good focus is a bit reduced and you need to move your head around a bit more - after a while it's not a problem.

My Class2 medical specifies bifocals must be worn - according to my LAME progressives meet this because they're really just bifocal with the line smoothed out. My headset bag includes a cheap pair of off-the-shelf clear bifocals and a pair of bifocal sunglasses.

The sunglasses I use most of the time - these are normal sunnies with add-on hydrotac lenses that I've fitted myself. These are excellent gel lenses that cost around $20 and you fit to the inside of ordinary (non-focal) glasses and can position them to where they're right for your vision. For flying, I've got them adjusted so that the top bifocal line lines up with the top of the aircraft panel - higher than for most bifocals, so I've got perfect vision both outside and towards the panel. I wouldn't be without them now.