PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather strategy - biggest daily threat?
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2016, 15:09
Pakehaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neila83
Haha yes, I've seen some of those videos, scarier than Saw 8 or whatever one they're on now!

I did read a stidu, probably linked in a thread here, that analysed pilot behaviour around weather, and found while pilots almost always deviate at altitude, they will quite often fly through the same red radar returns if they're lower down on approach/landing in particular. Not quite sure what to make of that...
I would agree with that,and do it myself...reasons,.
At altitude you really have no idea of a cell/CBs strength,hence deviations,based on previous traffic ,radar returns,PIREPs etc,in approach at lower altitudes you are constantly monitoring ATC,reports of preceding traffic, and generally you are gathering better more accurate info.
That is not to say you blindly plow through CBs at lower altitudes,I've been pinged on several occasions,but the corridors at lower altitudes when on approach/arrival have limited boundaries ( sometimes) because of departing traffic.I finfpd the new generation radars are awesome,but very sensitive,not all "red" returns are bad

It's actually quite amazing to fly with certain individuals ,and see what they believe is "acceptable"weather to fly through,around,below and above,in a CHK A position I see this constantly.Some I have agreed some not.
Weather evaluation is constant,what is acceptable generally boils down to sound experience and that includes the constant uses of resources available

Last edited by Pakehaboy; 17th May 2016 at 15:21.