PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question regarding training on modern aircraft
Old 17th May 2016, 07:53
parkfell

de minimus non curat lex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jamesgrainge

You might think that my glass is 'half empty' rather than 'half full'

What I am trying to convey to junior birdmen is the reality of what it takes to succeed in the profession.
There are certain key stages which to go through, and it is important that a HOWGOESIT takes place with the training team to give you a honest assessment as to your progress, and whether you have developed a suitable learning curve to succeed within normal acceptable time scales.
First time passes might well be one indication of potential.
Completing the flying within the prescribed course minimums might be another. There are others.......
The standard 5 'O/GCSE' (including Maths,Physics,English) & 2 'A' {English system} or equivalent, as the minimum educational standard to attempt the 14 EASA exams. A high mark in Gen NAV is always a good indication that your brain is hard wired correctly.

Significant retakes/overruns might suggest that all is not well.

Far better that on completion of the PPL a sensible decision is made if appropriate. I see little point in someone struggling on, not enjoying it, and just making it by the skin of their teeth after a number of attempts of the "hoops".
The MCC/JOC phase would be a nightmare for all concerned.

Last edited by parkfell; 17th May 2016 at 09:47.