PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasses - what do you use?
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2016, 02:28
Flopt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wearing glasses....the Kiss principal works.

Declaration of vested interest....I am an optometrist a CPL and have been accredited by CASA to do "aviation eye medicals " for about 10 years.

Firstly as a heads up to anyone seeing his DAME in the near future ,the new CASA medical reporting system REQUIRES you to present yourself with two pairs of glasses [if you need them to meet the standard] i.e. the ones you wear and the spare pair you carry while exercising the privileges of your licence....we all do don't we...the DAME or DAO or CO can't legally submit the results otherwise.

When I needed reading glasses at the age of 46 ,I still had perfect distance
vision ,so 1/2 eye glasses did the trick for about 6 years....the standard for near is n.5 size print readable to 30cm , also at 50cm and at least n.14 size print at 1m.

I am now 67yrs and 20 years ago my airline pilot mates were wearing the simplest solution either 1/2 eyes, bifocals or trifocals and some were starting on progressive multifocals.

Now nearly all of them who I prescribe for wear progressive multifocals...but you are taking a risk if you try the "cheap" ones...theyare usually old designs with lots of distortions....but....you don't need the dearest ones either....I wear Varilux 'S' series for comfort and minimal distortions but I am sure Zeiss,Rodenstock, Hoya,Shamir all make lenses of similar quality.

My next piece of advice is the most important.....make sure the optometrist sits you down and individually carefully measures the correct position for the optical centres....and checks them with the reference spots still on the lenses when you collect them....virtually everyone who says they could not wear them comfortably has not been measured carefully enough or had the frame adjusted correctly....after you have been wearing them for a while it does not seem to be quite that critical, but it is at the start.

Best of luck,

Flopt