PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gnat down at CarFest
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2016, 18:44
MPN11

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts
Jersey ... 2015 ... Air display accounts not available for another ?one or two weeks? « Jersey Evening Post

Now here's a local conundrum. Our Deputy ["MP" in the States of Jersey] Mike Higgins is a great Air Show enthusiast. He runs the thing. Indeed, I have been led to believe that the RAFA HQ in St Helier was sold partly to help continue funding the Air Show.

According to the RAFA website, "Trefusis Forbes trophy, awarded for the highest net collection per member including Airshows for overseas. With over £19,000 raised, the trophy goes to the Jersey Branch as always another highly successful year. Collected by Branch Chairman Peter Clarke." In the Charitable context, RBL (Jersey) raised well over £150,000 last year. So NOT exactly a Charity money-spinner for the Air Show ... except for the Tourism benefits, of course, and the Deputy's esteem. Curiously, I always thought it was RAFA orientated ... at least that's what I understood when talking to AM Dusty Miller at the Air Show a year or three ago in the VIP enclosure [for which we paid quite a few quid].

Some years ago I was asked by a previous Lieut-Governor to take over as RAFA Chairman here ... after some background research into what was going on, I said "No Way, Sir".

I now always wonder about the who/why/for whom of some air displays.