PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reported Jetstar Tailstike at YMML
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2016, 17:57
Pakehaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cafe city ,I'm with you on that(if that's the case).I been in this very situation with new,low time,low experience,F/O,s on the Airbus.Some of the carriers have had SOPs in place(must be less than 15kts/x/wind)others it has been at Captains discretion.Those of us that fly the bus are fully aware of the landing x/wind dilemmas,associated with control,pitch limitations(the automated bus call out for pitch)etc,the same goes for the take off.Airbus in its FCOM procedures stipulate the technique(s)to be used,but as with anything associated with airplanes(tail draggers,floats etc) one must learn and feel the techniques.Some are easier to Cock up than others.

As to which A/C has the most tail strikes,I don't have the numbers,but would agree I've seen more 321,s take the bullet,than 320,s,( never had issues on the A330)and the reasons are kind of obvious,very easy to get the "pitch pitch" call on the 321 on landing especially in gusty conditions.When these aircraft are light for takeoff(and maybe this one was) green dot is low,pitch rotation on the bus cann be very quick,and the ability to over- rotate is easy,hence, a heavy weight takeoff, green dot, 235+,she becomes a bit of a pig to get off the runway.Needless to say,someone with limited experience can easily kiss terra ferma.Feel bad for the bloke,this type of incident happens very quickly,none of us are immune.

MB....not really interested in the spat your dealing with,actually fun to read,....but will you call me "honey",I feel kinda left out

Last edited by Pakehaboy; 16th May 2016 at 18:08.