PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visual approaches Radio Minimums or Baro
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2016, 09:30
Smokey Lomcevak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The visual approach can be a useful TEM tool. There may certain threats associated with a certain conventional IAP to the runway in use. Take EGPF rwy 23 for example - the terrain and subsequent MRVA means that radar vectoring can be quite precise, in particular the timings at which lower altitude clearances are given. All it takes is one long transmission on the freq and one may not receive clearance to descend and become rather high rather quickly. Subsequent ILS intercept inside the FAF and above the glideslope can and does happen. There is also the possibility of EGPWS warnings if one is working hard to recover the situation. A positive ISA deviation and temperature error in summer can also exacerbate the scenario. I have seen a variety of effective mitigation measures used by crews.

Another solution, however, is to avoid the threats altogether. Flying a visual approach to anywhere between a 3 to 6 mile final keeps one inside the terrain, and avoids the need to rely on lower radar altitudes. I find this is a useful way of selling the idea to a less confident crew member. This obviously requires the weather to be conducive, which I'll admit isn't a particularly common occurrence in this part of the world...

It seems now to be commonly agreed that non-precision approaches carry a higher degree of risk than an ILS. I find a visual approach is also a way of avoiding risk here - In my experience, attempting to predict FMC/FMGC behaviour, and hoping it does what you want it to do, involves reasonably high workload. What really saps capacity is when it doesn't go as planned, and (hopefully just) one head goes down in an attempt to recover the situation through the MCDU. This tends to lead to a loss of situational awareness in my experience. I find I use much less capacity by putting the aircraft where I want it to be by looking outside, or indeed monitoring my mate instead of pushing the wrong buttons!

Again, the weather must be conducive, but at somewhere like LFMN, for example, how often is one IMC at the FAF at 3000' only for the Airfield to appear before reaching MDA of 2000'? As for the other end - What's the point if flying down this (relatively) precise 3 degree approach only to level off before the final descent?