PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFB Glitch Airbus
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2016, 08:58
Uplinker

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts
We use iPads and Flysmart, and very good it is too - excellent in fact.

However, a potential problem is that data entry (of latest weather and TOM figures) takes a while to do and it is inevitably done after the loadsheet has been amended with LMC's and just before the doors are closed.

So there is real time pressure - especially with the all too common CTOT these days - a situation which is not consistent with careful data entry.

Airbus Flysmart SOPs state that on arrival at the aircraft we have to enter the estimated figures and run a take-off performance calculation. Then, we have to do it all over again; updating the weather and final loadsheet figures just after closing up.

We have all been bitching about this apparent waste of time (doing the first calculation), but I can now see that Airbus SOPs are designed to avoid the problems experienced in the situation in this report. By each of us running a calculation with estimated figures, entered during a 'quiet' period (yes, I know) of the cockpit preparation; reasonable performance settings will be used which would be enough to get safely airborne with. They will be in the right ballpark and the SOPs presumably have been designed to avoid serious problems associated with very quick and inaccurate data entries made under serious time pressure as we close up.

So I suppose I/we will have to stop bitching and just follow the Flysmart SOPs. I just wish they would explain WHY we have to do certain things.