PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasses - what do you use?
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2016, 02:21
Amiri01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Sunny,

I use multifocals and while they took a short time to get used to, they beat the reading glasses that I used previously hands down.

The problem I had with reading glasses is that my distance vision is fine so I had to perch my glasses on the end of my nose to look over the top of them when looking outside the cockpit which was very uncomfortable. Also, I really had 3 focal lengths that were important to me; outside the cockpit (distant), the instrument panel (EFIS type) which is about 3' away and my EFB which is fixed at a distance of about 18". If I had reading glasses that put the instrument panel clearly in focus, then I could not read my approach charts on the EFB and vice versa. Then I still had the end of the nose issue to look outside. Since there are 3 focal lengths that I need, bifocals would not have suited. At the end of the day, I was forced into trying multifocals and I now love them.

Sure, the peripheral vision is a bit distorted which is a bit of an irritant, but once I got used to the subtle movements of my head to bring where I was needing to focus into the sweet spot, their use became natural and the results were very pleasing.

My only real problem with them is when I need to read something on my overhead panel. Close in vision is through the bottom of the glasses so to read the overhead panel, I need to tilt my head a very long way back. This should not worry a rec/GA flyer.

I hope this feedback helps.