PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - James Dyson and the Harrier.
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2016, 12:39
aox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barnstormer1968
An interesting thread.
Lots of comments in how clever Dyson vacuums are, or that his patents need to be looked up. Not much evidence of experience using his vacuums
When I read that the most powerful vacuum cleaners were soon to be removed from sale, I thought this might be an opportunity coming up, and we need a new one soon anyway.

I bought a superseded and imported AEG Vampyr model on eBay for £33 including postage. Original price seems to have been about €130-150

Even though it has a 2000W nominal rating, it's adjustable and set to a bit below half scale most of the time

When these limits were imminent, Dyson marketing gleefully pointed out none of its models were affected as they are less powerful. But now they are saying the new rules have drawbacks, and are proposing a new label ...

Apparently, according to Dyson, over 126 million bags and filters end up in landfill each year across the EU. I read a review that suggests that works out to £50 per home per year, though I couldn't see whether Dyson itself said this.

According to official sources there are about 27 million homes in the UK. The EU seems to add up to about 200 million homes.

Maybe Dyson and its fans should leave the brilliant maths to its engineers, rather than the marketing department.

If I spent £300 or so on a new Dyson maybe I could save about £3 a year on bags and electricity, but I already saved over £250 by buying an alternative.