PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Words of wisdom appreciated
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2016, 21:40
rans6andrew

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I went through a patch of turning a perfect final into a poor touchdown when converting from rotary to fw tricycle uc. The major problem was difficulty judging the height once the ground detail came into focus. The helicopter taxi height (seat to ground) was higher than my fixed wing flying machine but it was lower when actually parked on terra firma. In the fixed wing I just couldn't flair and hold off at the correct height. My instructor figured this out and as I turned onto the runway to take off he stopped me and stopped the engine. We sat looking down the runway for a few minutes and he instructed me to just take in the view, particularly how the far end looks from my eye level after touchdown. The far end is where I should be looking. When landing I should aim to keep just above this point of view until the nose is pointing at the sky and the stick is fully back. After all of the lessons I had done this was the first time I had actually seen what I the site picture should look like. After that it just started to happen, l relaxed, it got better, easy peasy.