PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 14th May 2016, 18:18
P06T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by speed_alive_rotate
Just a quick check of a Tech question Ryanair seem to ask alot regarding swept wings. Has anybody been asked this exact or similar question

Why so important to prevent stall at the root of a swept back wing?

Somebody was telling me they ask this but maybe they were confused a little or is it a trick question , obviously for swept back wings we want the root to stall rather than the tip , which has a natural tendency to stall first which we prevent with various devices on our wings.
Would be great to hear feedback from people who were asked this.

Also many thanks to @alphavictor for his detailed account of the interview day, it greatly helps us all waiting for a call. And many thanks to all who have gotten back to me with such great advice and detail.
If you were lucky enough to get an invite please post your experiences as it helps all on this thread.
Many thanks.
If that question is actually asked then I agree that it is a trick question. For a swept wing it is undersirable but natural for it to stall at the wing tips first. The tendency of a swept back wing to tip stall is due to the induced spanwise flow of the boundary layer from root to tip. We would prevent this with the use of auto slats, vortilons or fences.

https://youtu.be/a4V8W31YwTQ

Last edited by P06T; 15th May 2016 at 09:04.