PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - End of the 225?
Thread: End of the 225?
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2016, 16:17
Special 25

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
And that is where you have Lies ........... Damn Lies ............... And Statistics.

The EC225 / H225 hasn't had 6 incidents, although I'm sure the press would have you believe that.

The 225 has had 4 incidents (I think) and this is the first that has ever resulted in injury / fatalities. How you view the Gearbox issues previously - Serious incidents for sure, but if they had happened over land and the aircraft had landed in a field, we wouldn't have really been talking about it - As per the S92 that did that at least 3 times (Australia / Brunei)

And another incident that was entirely pilot error, where the strength and excellent escape characteristics of the 225, enabled everyone to vacate the ditched aircraft without getting their feet wet.

So an excellent aircraft with a well proven and trusted design, or an inherantly flawed machine? I don't honestly know the answer, but I'd still fly the EC225. I think it is as proven as any helicopter globally. On the flip side, I guess Concorde was always flawed, there just weren't enough flying hours on it to have seen that fatal scenario occur previously.