PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Words of wisdom appreciated
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2016, 13:05
mewsie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Words of wisdom appreciated

Hi folks!

Firstly, this is my first post on this board so apologies for any faux pas, and I hope this question doesn't come up so often you want to slap me upside the head, but I would really appreciate some opinions.

I am about 31 hours into my PPL (15 of which have been circuits), and stuck, and struggling.

Ground school, theory, exams are all good and I've 100%-ed on all so far, but I am struggling and appear to be stuck at the circuit stage in physical flying.

My instructor is wonderful and has been flying 40+ years and has a superb sucess rate, but in recent weeks I feel that she is perhaps losing her patience with me and my lack of progress. As a result lessons are becoming tense for me, and it only takes a couple of poor landings to get me tense and on-edge, which is affecting the remainder. A few times she has mentioned that she has never had a preference for teaching highly academic students, and although I don't think it was directed at me, I can't help feeling I fit into this category.

I suppose I am looking for a sounding board of folks who may have been through something similar, or can help me decide what to do next.

First, what I consider myself to be struggling with other than the odd bits and bobs that come up in the circuit.

Finals, and the flare. I just don't seem to be 'feeling' it. Instructor is still having to take over at the last few seconds. Ballooning a lot and although I can feel it going wrong, I'm still not correcting it (or avoiding it in the first place!). Struggling to keep straight on the runway centreline on finals, and again, athough I can SEE I'm not straight, I just don't seem to be quite getting the right changes to correct it.

Yesterday for the first time I asked to make a full stop rather than another touch&go as I was starting to get upset by the situation, and the air was not a good place to be.

Afterwards I spent a good while considering whether I am perhaps just not cut out for this.

Perhaps I should consider another instructor, although I am very fond of my current one. I do plan to discuss this with her at the next session, but wanted to get some thoughts or try and get my head straight before I do so. If she's getting ratty with me because I'm being a poor student, I don't think swapping to another will help all that much.

Sorry this is a little vague, and apologies if this is the umpteenth time you have read a similar post, but I am grateful for your time and any advice.