PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Removal of DGA approaches
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2016, 11:46
neville_nobody

Received 143 Likes on 65 Posts
Clearly this is a breach of the regulations, but one could argue that you are now in VMC and can conduct a visual circuit to the reciprocal runway. Despite having descended way below the circling minima to break clear of cloud.
If you are claiming it is now VFR and you are flying a visual circuit how are you going to join the pattern? If you are VFR you are supposed to join crosswind or down wind at circuit altitude not 450' AGL. If it was quiet it would be doable, if it was a busy airport I think you would have difficultly actually complying with the traffic pattern. The other issue is that if you are now playing VFR in marginal conditions how do you deal with the MAP, especially if you are out of the circling area.

My original point is it would be better to have them redrawn as RNAV approaches. I can't imagine its a big job if they just had a circling MDA, as that is essentially what you have now... (or a few more days). I would suggest there is also the opportunity to offer two additional RWY approaches.
Or why not a GPS Arrival with the Aerodrome reference point as the waypoint?

In reality the government should really be making RNAV approaches at every airport and getting RNP approaches made for where RPT jets fly.