PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gnat down at CarFest
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2016, 10:35
rolling20

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Having read the AAIB report and the comments on here it is odd no one has mentioned his day job and that it may be a factor in this incident. If it has been mentioned on here my apologies. Kevin was obviously a very talented individual being Credit Suisse Group AG’s Head of European asset-backed securities sales and I am presuming an MD. I didn't know Kevin, but I have been in Investment Banking for longer than he was, though in a different area. Pressure in this business comes in all shapes and forms, whether through hitting multi hundred million dollar targets, clients making ever increasing demands, superiors piling on pressure from above and managing teams of people, whom you need to achieve their own goals.The pressure hence is wide and varied. Couple that with long hours, this is no 9-5 job. For many years I used to rise at 4.30am for a 6am start. Lunch hours don't exist and leaving the office at 9pm wasn't uncommon. Seeing clients after work would often see you getting to bed at 1 or 2am, sometimes you would go straight to the office hungover and exhausted. Taking a day off in those circumstances was not acceptable. Now we all did it for the renumeration, which was very rewarding. However the effects on your body through disrupted sleep and the strain of the job never left you. I myself was on call every weekend and often talk calls overnight from the States, further disrupting sleep.I only ever started to relax around 8pm on a Sunday night which was about the time I went to bed. I am not suggesting Kevin suffered from these problems, as we all takes pressure in different ways. However my and my colleagues experience is that the pressure is constant and theres no let up,it never leaves you. I wonder what his general sleep pattern was like? He was a very intelligent individual, who occupied a very senior position in the Investment Banking world, but perhaps that day his mind was also elsewhere. RIP.

Last edited by rolling20; 14th May 2016 at 11:17.