PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2016, 16:24
Danny42C

Walter,
...... I felt an intense burning sensation on my right thigh, just above the knee. (I was wearing khaki shorts and shirt)...
Exactly the same happened to me one day. I was bumping along in the back of a canvas tilt 30-cwt on some Burmese bullock track, back open of course, but in this case it was my left thigh (in shorts and shirt, like you ).

A hairy great hornet was sucked in by the turbulence, must've been annoyed by the spin-drier experience he'd just had, landed on my thigh and let me have it ! Hellish at the time - there is a tiny red mark there to this day.
...And that was from one of our Allies!...
I've always found Americans to be the most generous of cousins, but this chap had clearly been out in the sun too long ! I should have pushed my wingtip into his gun-port and squashed the blighter. We had an ATC-er in RAFG in the '60s who had a wooden leg (how was he still in - nobody knew). Had been in the nose of a Boston (I think), when another member of the formation accidentally rammed through the perspex; he lost his leg when the tip hit him. Didn't cramp his style; he had 14 children and occupied two OMQs ! And no, I haven't been drinking, will supply name if anyone PMs me. Must be dead by now - everybody I knew is !
...I had a very pleasant interview with him...
Me, too, with my chap. The 'buzz' was that the criteria were: (a) does he drop his aitches ? and (b) can he use a knife and fork ? I always found that my rare encounters with "stars" were not unpleasant (even when in the nature of: "Cap and gloves on - no chair/coffee or bikky"). It is the "middle management" you had to look out for !

So you managed to get your "crown". Mine didn't come through for six months - in fact my Commission beat it to it - but my commissioning date was a fortnight after the "crown" was due. Never did get the money !

Wonderful stuff, Walter. More ! More !

Danny.