PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gnat down at CarFest
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2016, 06:07
Evalu8ter

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Flap62,
I'm inclined to agree with you. However, in this case he wasn't 'taskd by the Boss' to display - he was a volunteer who'd stumped up (I guess) a considerable amount of money over the past 5 years to get in that cockpit. It makes my eyes water to think of a 700 hr PPL displaying as part of a pair of FJs - let alone with, by military stds, pretty poor currency.

Maybe the CAA need to have a long hard look at their DA rules. The 200hr limit was, probably, there to enable the likes of Tiger Club members to display a Stampe. Perhaps now there will be a much stricter requirement laid down on experience & currency. It would be easy to say 'only ex mil FJ guys can display jets'; I guess if it wasn't for Shoreham it would be a cacophony - but that accident also raises the issue of currency not just background. There is already a massive change occuring in the ex-mil jet world, and, IMHO, rightly so. unfortunately it will mean the loss from these shores, or the sky, of some distinctive and worthy aircraft. But. Airshows need to be demonstrably safe and if that means fewer,better experienced, pilots flying more ISPs/displays to be more current then so be it.