PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coffin Corner (Thinking exercise)
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2016, 20:21
Dont Hang Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by phiggsbroadband
Hi Guys, I think you have missed the first lesson of any flight training, that to descend or climb you just use the throttles. Changing the Pitch Attitude will increase or decrease the speed.

So you are in the apex of the coffin corner triangle, you can't go slower or faster, or you would go outside the triangle. The only way is towards the middle of the triangle. i.e. Keep your airspeed constant, and just descend.

The descent will happen if you just close the throttles, don't touch the Pitch Trim.
Have I got the job, mr Ryanair?
I think the lesson you are referring to says adjust throttle to change height while maintaining airspeed with pitch control.

Any thrust change with no corresponding pitch input will initially create an airspeed change. In a well behaved aeroplane the speed change will result in a natural pitch change to counter the speed change. But at coffin corner that may be too late!

I have yet to meet an aeroplane so stable that it will maintain airspeed across the whole throttle range without any retrim. However I understand there are some aircraft that have an "IAS Hold" autopilot mode, which adjusts pitch for airspeed allowing thrust to be used for height change.

Last edited by Dont Hang Up; 13th May 2016 at 05:45.