PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Palm Springs, CA & Scottsdale, AZ
Old 22nd Jul 2003, 22:41
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are very lucky stik, but I see you have your own plane to play with. There is a place in Shoreham that has a Pitts that I need to go chat with when I am in the UK more, they let you solo there, how foolish of them

So it seems we have decided that EchoKiloEcho has to stay away from the spam-cans. If he only wants to do a couple of hours dual I'd suggest something more like the SuperCubs to be found at Chandler Air Service. That will give a taste of the superior fun to be had with a taildragger. If only in the Valley for a short time I'd suggest a sightseeing trip up to Roosevelt Lake (at no higher than than 500ft AGL). There is an interesting Indian cliff dwelling ruin up there which you can buzz, but I didn't tell you that

Then find out how incredibly friendly and efficient the ATC folk are in the US and do a 'valley hop' which entails buzzing around the PHX class B doing "touch and go's" at the following class D airports. CHD-IWA-FFZ-DVT-GEU-GYR. There are some dirt strips and an uncontrolled airport or two as well. Should get them all in within an hour. I think GEU is being resurfaced right now, but should be back by August. A quick flight through the PHX class B midfield above the airport might also be interesting, and see if you can get away with a touch and go at PHX. They might let you do a full-stop-taxi-back but then you would end up being "Number 25 for departure" which is a bummer in the heat. PHX has about 50% more movements a day than LHR.

Plenty of things to do, and renting a warrior is not one of them