PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2016, 20:49
DaveReidUK

Received 206 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Trinity 09L
I am aware that it does not effect departures for 09L, but alas if & when easterly departures start, thats then it will awaken those in the North East quarter to noise not heard before.
Well noise that's not been heard very often - 09L departures are rare, but not unknown (just under 400 of them last year). But I agree that's rather different from the 35,000 or so 09L departures per year that would likely result from full easterly alternation.

Atlantic departures may (?) require a left turn to head West.
The SIDs for 09L departures already exist - Transatlantics make either a right or left turn depending on whether they are on a Compton or WOBUN SID, respectively (which in turn is determined by their destination and the day's NAT tracks).

Edit: here is an example of each:

Departure to JFK on an 09L Compton SID: WebTrak My Neighbourhood - Home Locator: London Heathrow Airport
Departure to IAH on an 09L WOBUN SID: WebTrak My Neighbourhood - Home Locator: London Heathrow Airport

As to a decision, I would only suggest that it would be easy to bury this with the R3 decision. However what work is required to allow ops, ie noise baffles and taxiways etc would have to destroyed again to allow aircraft to reach R3.
Quite so. The noise mitigation measures are designed to reduce sound levels at the western end of 09L, primarily to benefit the residents of Longford (which is due to disappear under the T6 satellites).

Last edited by DaveReidUK; 12th May 2016 at 10:11. Reason: Added examples of 09L SIDs from WebTrak