PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2016, 18:15
NigG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danny

I didn't follow your point about 'war substantive' rank, or Gibbs. Anyway my point about Arthur not being senior enough to earn the DSO is based on the Wikipedia entry for the DSO. It says that the award normally went to those who held the rank of major or above. More junior officers had been awarded it, but that generally indicated that their valour was close to that which merited the VC. Since Arthur was only an acting Sqn Ldr, I reasoned that he was deemed to be one notch too junior to qualify for the DSO. Anyway...

Yes 84 was operating from Khumbirgram. I see from the 84 squadron history (Scorpion's Sting) your squadron (110) was there too... although you, Danny, had personally been evacuated by that time... Both squadrons were subject to a Jap raid which inflicted only very minor damage on their respective aircraft. I see that Arthur led both 84 and 110 as part of a Wing for some ops.

We previously discussed why 84 stayed on in theatre after the monsoon arrived, while the other five Vultee Vengeance squadrons were withdrawn. According to the book, the other squadrons were withdrawn 'for rest and re-equipment'. Presumably 84 stayed on because they had arrived later than the other squadrons... and the weather was making operations less effective using VVs... and the Mosquitoes were about ready to go into service. To 84's credit they often managed to cope with the monsoon, using their low-dive bombing technique, as necessary, and their weather-recce Spitfire to assess conditions.

Amazing days! Who wouldn't want to have been there?!... although at the time, it can't have been much fun. Only the companionship, sense of purpose and adrenalin buzz to compensate for the discomfort and strain... (I guess).

Last edited by NigG; 16th Jun 2016 at 19:00.