PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - slingsby firefly
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2016, 16:09
robrob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jetscream, the Air Force had its own self-written operating and maintenance manuals. The pilots studied the flight manual and knew it inside and out. But as mind boggling as it sounds we did nothing for weight and balance--it was never considered or calculated. The other glaring omission is that we never practiced gliding stalls and we never received any "student screws up the spin recovery" training. We got that training on the job and it was eye opening.

I do believe that we were operating the aircraft with the CG beyond the aft limit which would make the aircraft more unstable and more likely to enter and remain in a spin.

dobbin1, thank you for the excellent link. I'm looking at the weight and balance spreadsheet and reading through the manual now.
Baikonour, thanks for the link to the spin testing document. I didn't know the spin testing was carried out at Hondo Texas.

The more I learn about the T67 the more I realize the Air Force did a crappy job of developing the operating manual and the training syllabus for the instructors and the cadets.

Last edited by robrob; 11th May 2016 at 17:28.