PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non-ETOPS/EDTO diversion planning
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2016, 10:20
gretzky99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non-ETOPS/EDTO diversion planning

As the title says, I'm looking for some info on diversion planning pre-dispatch for non-ETOP/EDTO flights.

As an example flight, SYD to HKG in a 777 has numerous adequate airports within 60 min, so only normal fuel calculations apply. Most regs require the depress and OEI scenarios also be planned, with the highest fuel of the three taken.

Obviously to avoid taking unnecessary extra fuel, the depress & OEI scenarios are planned based on additional airports along the route, as looking solely at SYD and HKG would require loading extra fuel, most likely for a depress at the depress crit point.

Logical safe thinking/airman-ship aside, is there any additional requirements such as monitoring or weather minimums that become applicable to the airports used to calculate these scenarios, even though they are not officially designated 'alternates' of any kind, and are just used to show fuel planning compliance?

Also do these airports, and their respective depress/OEI crit points need to be provided to the crew? I don't imagine flying in NA or Europe where adequate airports are everywhere this would be the case, even though the calculations still have to be made. If not, do dispatch keep a record of how this was calculated for any future audit/incident investigation?

I have heard 3rd hand that QF provide info (airports, fuel required, diversion time etc) used to calculate the most critical depress and OEI crit points only on flights longer than 1000nm.

I understand that each operator may handle this differently so I may get a number of different responses, but any additional info would be greatly appreciated.