PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coffin Corner (Thinking exercise)
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2016, 09:18
slima

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coffin Corner (Thinking exercise)

Hi fellow mates.,
this is my first question on PPRune

I'm battling with a question that i have in my mind since i took the Ryanair interview and was dismissed !?

The issue is Coffin Corner. Hypothetically lets assume we have an 737 ;P with tanks full super awesome engines that can climb straight to the point of the coffin corner.
At this point, and for that weight, we're kinda screwed (if we got there) and we cant increase, decrease speed or climb because we'll stall.
I think i get it so far. (if anything is not accurate please let me know, i'm here to learn)

So the solution to this point is, from what i saw on other posts, to decrease altitude and maintain the airspeed, because it will take us out of this problem.

So my question is:
if the problem is the weight of the airplane, and we can't act on the thrust or lift forces, why can't we act on the weight force?
Is it possible to jetisson some fuel to take us out of this intricacy ? and thus with a slight bigger margin start to decrease altitude to get safer ?

This is just a thinking exercise (i like to use my brains), if you can share your thoughts that will bring more clarity to this will help me get closure with this question i get for months!

Cheers,
Sergio

Last edited by slima; 12th May 2016 at 08:52.