PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bitterly dissapointed with you PPruner bar stewards
Old 11th May 2016, 09:11
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BP

I suppose the difference between a C172/PA28 and a Maule is like comparing a Ford Mondeo to well kitted out Land Rover Defender. The Mondeo is a good solid reliable no excuses car that is practical and very functional whereas the Defender has most of that plus some added capabilities and design features that make it more of a backcountry machine. Other aircraft comparable to the Maules "off road" capabilities are the Husky, Scout and Super Cub however they are all 2 seater tandems, stick control, whereas the Maule has 4 seats, cargo door, yoke control much like the 172/PA28 and is usually configured with a full IFR panel unlike its 2 seat peers.

Some of the features I like on the 180HP model:

* Comparable cruise speed to 172/PA28 but with a 40 MPH stall
* Just under 1000 LBS useful load
* Long range tanks (73 USG usable) giving a 8+ hour endurance
* Taildragger with Tundra tyres makes any beach, rural track or reasonably flat 700 ft field easily manageable.
* Removable rear seat (2 minute task) and clamshell cargo door combo gives a huge area for bikes or other cargo.
* Same operating costs as 172/PA28
* The factory is still in operation and building planes, support and spares readily available.
* Stood the test of time, my US based Maule is based on a 1950's TCDS and design. Certificated production aircraft.
* Benign, predictable and easy to fly characteristics
* The fun and utility of a taildragger with the layout, seating and nav/com fit of a 172/pa28.
* When I am flying I'm not constantly looking for a suitable field if the engine quits, you can put it down anywhere and usually undamaged.
* Although not a great IFR platform, its adequate. Can be legally equipped with S-tec AP
* Has a bit of that unusual factor when going into a new airstrip being a taildragger with bushwheels.
* STOL capabilities
* 4 doors with windows that fold up to open during flight and patrol window bottom half doors for good ground visibility.
* Sunroof with visor.
* Autogas STC
* Rugged build.
* Reasonable priced new or used in comparison to Cessna, Piper or Husky.
* Factory flight training available by Mr. R. Maule (He seems to know a thing or two about the plane)
* Can be fitted with floats or skis, and I believe all come from the factory with the float attachments welded to the frame
* Available in 180, 235 260 HP piston or 350HP turbine and hopefully Delta hawk diesel in the future.
* Family owned and run manufacturer since inception 60 years ago who has not sold out and relocated the factory to China.

Last edited by piperboy84; 11th May 2016 at 09:33.