PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bitterly dissapointed with you PPruner bar stewards
Old 11th May 2016, 07:34
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bitterly dissapointed with you PPruner bar stewards

I have been posting on here for years covering a multitude of service and equipment issues that I felt may help my fellow pilots. Recently I was changing the oil on the Scottish Maule which I do every 25 hours religiously. This task involves removing a gazillion cowling screws taking the top cowling of then me morphing into a circus acrobat by getting on my hands and knees on the hangar floor with the bottom cowling on my back crawling slightly forward to allow my helper to remove the scat hoses then he slides an old kitchen table alongside me to hold the cowling then we both stand and gently navigate the cowling past the alternator and other obstructions then finally off. After the oil is changed the reverse is performed but with the added difficulty of reattaching the scat hoses as I bought them a 1/4" to tight and it takes a lot of manipulating and fairly liquid to reattach.

Prior to my recent prop strike on the US based Maule I went to change the oil for the first time since I had bought the plane. The usual dread of the cowling removal kerfuffle of the Scottish Maule fresh in my mind, after finally getting it off I noticed a funny looking blue device with a nipple end where the drain plug should be, I prodded pushed then twisted it and oil started pissing out.

NOBODY EVER MENTIONED ON HERE THEY MADE QUICK RELEASE OIL DRAIN PLUGS FOR AIRCRAFT !

Now thanks to my OWN discovery, the last five years of faffing about with the cowling while tolerating a helper with a bad attitude and face as long as his arm is history, all I have to do is simply slide a hose up from underneath with the bottom cowling still attached onto the quick drain and Bobs yer uncle, and all for the bargain price of $40, no more sore knees on a cold hangar floor for me !

Thanks a bunch.