PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pulmonary Embolism
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2016, 20:33
Uplifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wondering,

What happens if the INR is out of range 12hrs before a flight and one is in a far away place with no chance getting another crew member on time?
My best guess is that you would be in the same position as anyone else who was suddenly taken ill and reported sick. From my own experience, and feedback from others who are/were also on warfarin, you very quickly become adept at controlling the INR within the required range. The actual test is a pain in the rear (in reality it's a finger) when you have to perform it every day, but having survived a potentially fatal condition it's a small price to pay to retain employment and a regular income. The only two occasions that I have been off work with anything INR related have been when my GP has prescribed antibiotics (rapid increase in INR), when I wouldn't have been fit for work anyway, had I not been on warfarin.

I personally don't think being on warfarin makes you any more unreliable than any other member of the flight crew, in terms of fitness to fly, unless you decide to perform a double backflip and land on your head after a sherbet or two.

Probably best though to take Radgirl's advice. Maybe, in time, the CAA will adopt the same requirements as the FAA (when it comes to INR testing)

Last edited by Uplifting; 10th May 2016 at 20:53. Reason: Clarification