PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2016, 19:32
NigG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sir PHL I guessed from your 'tongue-in-cheek' username that being irreverend might be your thing! Anyway, thanks for the modification. I'm probably a bit defensive on the topic of Wg Cdr Jeudwine. I recommend getting hold of Global Warrior, mentioned in my first post. It gives an insight into this guy. He was really solid and a well-respected leader... but not, it seems by the 'powers that be'. After escaping to Australia in the lifeboat, he was posted to the Western Desert where he commanded a Baltimore Squadron. In a letter to my father (congratulating him on being made 84 Sqn commander, in 1943) he advised him to lead the squadron rather than drive it. He said that, as squadron commander, he always trusted that his men would give of their best... and only if someone wasn't playing the game would he get very serious... and have them posted away. He added that he'd been 'posted on' himself, losing his Baltimore squadron because, in the opinion of the higher echelon, he was 'too soft' and should be driving his men harder. It seems that this didn't go against him, however, because when he got back to the UK he was given command of a squadron of Lancs... and went on to be a 'master bomber'. My father reckoned that he would have reached Air rank had he stayed on the the RAF after the war. Unfortunately he killed himself doing aerobatics during his first day of flying a Typhoon. In my opinion he's someone who's worthy of a lot of respect.