PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greedy Airlines & SlimLine Seats!
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2016, 18:24
Hotel Tango

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have Economy Class cabins really become intolerable? It might seem that way if you’re used to flying First or Business, but speaking personally I don’t think they’re any worse than they were, say, 20 years ago.
That's interesting. I did almost all my L/H flying in Economy at a time when, in contrast to today's product, it was still a pleasant enough experience, even on the charter airlines of the time (mainly non UK airlines). After a particularly uncomfortable ride in a crowded Airbus A340 of a well known scheduled operator some 16 years ago, I turned to my wife and announced that from then on we would fly L/H in Business or not at all. Since we flew for leisure, and thus booked earlier than the average business man, we discovered plenty of affordable Business Class fares out there. That's how it came about. I'm afraid I cannot agree with you at all that Economy travel today compares favourably or better than 20 years ago and beyond.

With regard to worldwide legislation, my argument is that if a minimum comfort factor is legislated then all carriers are competing on a level playing field which is not detrimental to the basic comfort of the travelling public. As for what constitutes "comfortable" that would be a matter of debate of course, but I would venture to suggest anything but what is considered "normal" today