PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2016, 18:14
Danny42C

NigG,
...There's plenty about this in 'Vengenance The Vultee Vengeance dive bomber' by Peter C Smith'...
I've had a copy of this excellent reference book for a few years, but only skipped through it at odd times it to use the statistics quoted for VV production and alloction and, for example, to research the history of EZ999, which caused much head-scratching on these Forums over the provenance and identity of the Camden Museum Vengeance.

This time I've set myself to reading the "Operationl" chapters more carefully from Chapter 7 "Fruition" (p.98) to Chapter 11 "Cancellation" (up to p.154). The first thing I found is that many of the confident statements I've made over the years on this and "Pilot's Brevet" thread (on the basis of my own experience - or what I can remember of it) - are contradicted.

I'm glad that I made it clear, very soon after I started in 2012, that I must not be regarded in any way as an Authority on this (or any other) subject !

Anyway, I'll wrap a cold towel round my head, get down to reading it properly and report results as they are relevant to your Posts. Watch this space !

Cheers, Danny.