PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just a quick reminder, contracting out of AFPS ends next month.
Old 10th May 2016, 16:58
Willard Whyte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does British Telecom pay more or less to its company pension scheme members depending on whether they are contracted in or out? Or have I missed the point altogether?
I can't speak for BT, but...

...the railway pension is a salary sacrifice final salary pension. Until April this year the (contracted out) sacrifice was 10.64% of (basic salary)-(state pension).

Fom April onwards it was decided that as employees would pay more NI the sacrifice would be reduced to circa 8.5% (I don't have the exact figures to hand).

The rail pension is payable at (final salary-1.5x(state pension))x(years accrued*/60). The reduced sacrifice will supposedly match the reduced railway pension with the increased state pension to give an overall (rail plus state) pension of a similar amount for any given wage.

*to a maximum of 40 years

Much like other final salary schemes that changed (AFPS '15 for example), employees will have accrued a guaranteed certain amount before a given date, and will accrue it at a different rate thereafter.

Last edited by Willard Whyte; 10th May 2016 at 20:02.