PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greedy Airlines & SlimLine Seats!
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2016, 15:47
Andy_S

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Hotel Tango
As far as Long Haul is concerned, I fly Business while I can still (though barely) afford it. There will come a point one day (soon) when I will be forced to downgrade to Economy Plus (though only on sectors of maximum 8 hrs mind). With present Y cabins I will give up L/H travel rather than fly Economy. Most Economy cabins have now become intolerable. There does indeed need to be worldwide legislation for a comfortable Economy seat pitch and seat width.
With respect, I disagree. Aviation is a competitive market and you have abundant choice of airlines and cabins. Quite apart from the wholly unrealistic expectation of “worldwide” legislation, what you propose is blatant interference in the running of someone else’s business. What you’re actually suggesting, effectively, is that airlines should subsidise your desire for more comfortable economy class travel (and BTW, how do you define a “comfortable” pitch and width?)

Have Economy Class cabins really become intolerable? It might seem that way if you’re used to flying First or Business, but speaking personally I don’t think they’re any worse than they were, say, 20 years ago. If anything, I find the Long Haul economy experience more bearable than it used to be. Maybe some of that comes with experience, but more modern and quiet aircraft, better cabin air and individual and more sophisticated IFE also play a part.

Originally Posted by Dont Hang Up
2nd: Many who could not previously afford to fly can now do so.

...so far so good, however...

3rd: Many who did afford to fly but for whom it was a financial struggle now move to the low cost supplier.
Which pretty much proves my point.

Originally Posted by Dont Hang Up
.......resenting those smug so and so's telling us we're only getting what we deserve.
I'm not sure if that was aimed at me, but for the record I never suggested that passengers get what they deserve, more that they get what they (mostly) want; low fares.