PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2003, 19:54
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maggie/ Falcon

I have just nipped across to the FP site - very impressive.

I am so pleased that my 2 Miles aircraft continue to give so much pleasure.

They were at RIAT over the weekend in the '100 years of flight' exhibition.

THe original 1935 Hawk was quite different to the Magister.

The Hawk had the Falcons trousered undercarriage and swept tailplane. It also had identical (tiny!) cockpits, a narrower fuselage and altogether a much more dainty (and drop dead gorgeous!) aircraft. I have to have one!

It was clear that the military needed a much more durable machine and one that you could get in and out of easily with parachutes.

The Magister was borne out of this requirement.

The official post war civvy designation of the Maggie is 'Miles M14A Hawk Trainer 3'.

Thats what appears on all the official CAA documentation. Magister isn't mentioned anywhere.

I'll consult the oracle - Peter Amos of The Miles Collection - and come back if I can find out more.

I will log in to the FlyPast Forum when I get a chance - I honestly didn't know anything about it and was pleased to see such lovely pictures of my machines.

A flight in the Maggie isn't out of the question for the right reasons - especially where there is a a connection with the aircraft or somebody can demonstrate an obsession!

However, the word has got around that I do the occasional enthusiasts jolly in it before or after the shows and I do get asked an awful lot now. This can be a bit distracting when I am trying to get my head into my display routine.

A ride in a Moth is open to anybody at the Annual Moth Charity Rally annually at OW. Not much money and all properly organised.

Any Maggie afficiandos are encouraged to EMail me, especially if they have any old 'unseen' pictures of my aircraft.

I intend to put comprehensive hstory files together for future generations.

All the best.

HP.