PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robin DR400's
Thread: Robin DR400's
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2003, 19:19
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DR400

Groundhogs - no way!

It is easy to overload any aircraft that has more seats than the adult backsides it can carry.

I used to instruct on the DR400/ 108 out of Rochester back in the 70's/ 80's. 4 nice squidgy seats. A superb trainer that never caused a flutter on take off (and boy were some of my students larde-asses!! )

Overload it though and its low power will come back sharply into focus.

My 2 year old Regent (180) weighs 635kg empty and grosses at 1100kg. Take off on level tarmac (unfactored) at MAUW is 320 metres.

Try that in a TB!!

I operate it from a farm strip and routinely go out at gross.

Wing failure - Robin deny that poor construction caused the accident and cite 'ten million flying hours without an accident attributable to (poor construction) structural failure'.

As posted before, their stance is that - whilst an examination of the accident aircraft did reveal inadequate bonding in the spar box - tests of the damaged parts confirmed that, despite the inadequacy of the glue joints, the spar still achieved its design strength.

There are a lot of high time Robins in France - some with more than 25,000 hrs on them.

It is also easy for anybody to fail to record all the flying hours in an endeavour to keep the inspection costs down.

It is also easy for club planes to be abused - pulled hard, aerobatted, landed heavily - without report.

There is much speculation about the accident aircraft. It will probably never be fully explained.

The inspection/ remedial work - jury still out on this I reckon. You imagine opening up a long wooden box that has been heavily glued together. In my view - the inspection and repair is likely to compromise the spar strength a lot more than the inadequate bonding that has been found in the accident and others 'either side'.

I may be correct in that the inadequate bonding has been attributed to just one person at the factory all those years ago.

Improved inspection techniques and advances in adhesive technology render this type of occurence a thing of the past.

The Robin is a joy - an absolute joy. Beautifully made by artisans. A bespoke aircraft made just for you - any colour, any panel, any trim - and cheaper than a new spammer.

If anybody out there is thinking about buying a new aircraft - go for the Robin.

If in doubt - get the missus a ride in a Robin or a spammer - I can guarantee the verdict!

HP