PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this aerodynamic behavior possible?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2003, 18:15
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiya Tinny.

Agree completely with your analysis. I was stretching a point, trying to conceive of a situation where Mochel's scenario might work. What I was suggesting wasn't simply a reduction of power - it was a lowering of the nose (to increase speed), accompanied by a short-term reduction of power. Like I said, stretching a point!

As for my aircraft speeding up with a power reduction, it's definitely not 2 - I'm talking about the stable state, after everything has settled down. I like the idea of a change of pressure in the area of the pitot/static tubes causing a change of indicated airspeed - interestingly, I think the PA28 behaves the same way to a lesser extent, and the pitot/static sensors are located in exactly the same place on the two aircraft. Personally, though, I think that the change in airflow over the horizontal stabiliser is responsible for a slight change in trim. (And again, the horizontal stabiliser - all-moving tail-plane with the trim tab doubling as an anti-balance tab - is a very similar configuration to the PA28.) No idea which is correct, and it doesn't really matter, but I think it's interesting nonetheless. (But then I have no life, so I find these things more interesting than I should!)

FFF
--------------