PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 9th May 2016, 08:58
SMW72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Satcomm
May eat my words on this but not buying the missing diaper pin theory. Mainly due to the length of time between the accident and the MRH/MGB replacements. Having worked in the industry long enough, find it really hard to believe, at this time with all the safety nets, such a critical part would be missed. The first engineer would have to forget, the second engineer (initialing the independent) would either have to have gained enough trust in the first guy not to look, however, I cant imagine he wouldn't at least asked (which is when you would think the first guy would go "oh $#%&"). There would most likely be a checklist/greasy thumb copy of the major component replacement that gets attached to the work card where someone checked installing the pins (again "oh %$^*, I forgot the pins). Now this is just the 2 guys signing for the job, there would be several other engineers involved in replacing either of the above 2 components, possibly even a shift change (maybe not for MRH) where another set of guys would have been involved. After all that, hangar/stand cleanup, I think someone would have noted a firewall panel, washer and 2 diaper pins left over and questioned why.

So all that got missed, the aircraft has been flying for a month (according to the rumors) since the MRH replacement. There would have been a significant amount of daily inspections, preflights and turnarounds in which no engineer picked up of the missing panel. I realize its down in the bottom of the firewall behind the engine but I think it would be picked up on a daily. Engineers minds are trained to pick up on the anomalies not the thing that are correct. Again, after all that time, someone is now just noting the significance of the parts sitting in the hangar ... I don't know guys, really seems far fetched to me.

I guess nothing is impossible but its not like this is HS's first go at a puma. I do not work for HS but I do think they are a probably the most experienced super puma operators out there. CHC like all the other big boys, have all the known safety nets in place and is just hard to think such a small yet critical step creeped through the cracks for so long.

Obviously like everything else on here, this is just my own speculation and in due time we will hopefully find out the true cause so that the chances of it happening again are minimised.
I don't disagree with much you have written but I've not heard anything about the heat shield being found in the hangar workshop. This has only come up on this forum and has gathered arms and legs. The rumour that was first put forward was that the washer and nappy pins where found but this not to say that they came off this aircraft or they weren't replaced because they were U/S and hadn't been put in the bin.
The other misconception is with regards the inspection process. You may be looking at it from a UK point of view which make your assertions spot on but in Norway engineers can Dupe their own work so an independent inspection is never required under their legislation. This may seem ridiculous to many on here but it is how it is.
But as many have said on here we are all just listening to rumours and it may be a long time before we know the correct details.
My thoughts are with the families of those affected by this tragedy.