PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Aircraft pod strike 737 Samoa
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2016, 07:37
framer

Received 481 Likes on 129 Posts
Blackbook I think you have gone straight to the heart of it.
In this particular case it is a pod strike, but there are 100 other potential cock-ups that are more likely to sneak through as a result of the constant reductions in systemic safety. Each policy change on its own looks like it can be safely initiated but it feels like we are getting to a point after chip chip chipping away where we are relying on a dose of luck and the pilots to get the aircraft away quickly and safely.
Not only has Engineering support be reduced, time available to sign on and get to the aircraft has remained the same while security takes longer and gates are further from the sign on locations. Add to that the ground staff with a clipboard scribbling down what time crew arrive at the aircraft ( read your 250 notams boys?) and the email you receive telling every company employee that the aircraft was 4 minutes late off blocks due to "Pilots" and the scene is set for people to rush and cut corners.
Not checking the bottom of the cowls is now just ops normal for many in a bid to satisfy folk who would stutter if you asked them to define safety.
Edited to ask: How many of you have gone more than five years without being checked or trained on conducting a walk-around? I have gone seven years now. It must be an unnecessary expense I guess.