PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St. Helena Service
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2016, 16:19
capricorn744

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to St. Helena (by RMS St.Helena, touring to Tristan da Cunha too) few years ago when I knew about the airport plans...the emotion to reach this magic historic place would have been lost by going on a plane, that was my feeling.
By that time, the works to prepare for the airport were in progress and I visited the site.
As a (retired) captain, I had the feeling that the location was not the best one...due to the place orography, but then I still followed the project progress.
Having known the initial results of the familiarization flights, my first doubts had some confirmations...weather phenomena, like windshear and low clouds (on the particolare place), can't be avoided just changing planes, Airlines, flights frequency and other human made solutions.
On all the approach charts, the note about "to expect moderate to severe turbolence" it's just "a killer"...apart from the "commercial" point of view (making money on a kind of "regular service"...or being subsidized by government..more likely), which pilot would not fly there, considering the "missed approach" (and therefore "turn back home") the first option and "landing at destination" the second option?...