PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 8th May 2016, 15:45
Satcomm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would not fly in those things either if there was even a remote possibility the main rotor would detach under normal operations.
(Yes, we don't know the cause yet, but I don't care what the cause is, sloppy maintenance, metal Fatique, etc., I would still not strap by arse into a 225 if there was other choise, and there usually is)
Tower Dog, I'm not sure what you do for a living but I hope it does not involve flying in a helicopter. If so, what i am about to inform you may shock the hell out of you. There is NOT a single helicopter manufactured that does not have a "remote" chance of the main rotor head departing the airframe. In fact, ALL Helicopters (including theentire super puma family) are designed to retain the main rotor head under "normal" operating conditions. The super puma (225 and 332), are not the first helicopter types to have had the rotor head depart. It has happened to everything from Enstroms, S76s to super Pumas. Put that aside, the main rotor head departing the aircraft is only ONE and very remote way that a helicopter ride can become fatal.

Speculation, discussions and rumours aside, This has been a very tragic event and today my heart does go out to tall the mothers involved and surrounding this tragedy.