Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2016, 19:56
Prophead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Prophead View Post
giving LGW a new runway doesn't change Heathrow's expansion plans
Of course it does.

There is no scenario on the horizon that sees LHR and LGW each building a new runway.
I meant it doesn't alter the fact that there is still a business case to expand LHR as a hub airport. Build a runway at Gatwick and you still have a case for the hub expansion at LHR even though I agree they will not give the go ahead to both.

This £18bn figure is the very top estimate and it is more likely to be much much less than that.
If you adjudge this 'likely' presumably you will be happy to enlighten us on precisely where TfL's calculations are in error.
Not in error as such, just inclusive of a whole load of works that will need doing anyway by 2030 even without expansion.

There is a lot of confusion over the exact figure required as this shows.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Common...structureCosts)

AMS is a competitive option, hence the widespread offering of regional connections by KLM and others. However, Manchester Airport Rail Station is located at the heart of the terminals complex and is well connected across the North of England and lowland Scotland. It is also a very convenient option for many travellers.
Please, it is used as the only other option is an expensive taxi ride on busy motorways. I have done it many times out of necessity and it is not convenient at all when you have an early morning flight, lots of luggage, kids and do not live on the actual direct rail route.

A short taxi ride, bags checked and gone then be sat with a coffee in T5 in 45 minutes is much more convenient believe me.