PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - slingsby firefly
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2016, 19:26
Genghis the Engineer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
A few relevant thoughts.

"Lies damned lies and statistics" is Benjamin Disraeli, who never occupied the Whitehouse. It was popularised in the USA by Mark Twain, who didn't occupy the White House either. I think that Disraeli was talking about Florence Nightingale who pioneered the use of statistics to explain stuff to bewildered politicians (did you know she also invented the pie chart).

There are much more up to date statistics than 1994 available.

I think that anybody flying club aeros without a chute and/or too low for further recovery actions or to abandon is a fool. Clubs permitting this are being irresponsible. There are clubs doing so in common types, including the T67. I have no idea if this includes Yorkshire Aero Club.

Rudder area below the horizontal stabiliser is based upon a 1930s piece of RAE research, developed further in the 1950s by NASA called "Tail Damping Power Factor". NASA themselves revisited it in the 1970s and published a report saying that it was misleading and should not be used. Brunel University in the UK a few years ago also revisited it, concluded the same, and published similar papers in Aeronautical Journal.

You would expect aeroplanes used extensively for aerobatics to have a significantly higher fatal accident rate anyhow. That doesn't however explain the 1994 statistics for the C182 and Jodel.

T67M Mk.II is a non-military 160hp variant. M200 and M260 are the models actually sold to the world's military forces.

G