PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2016, 19:23
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was waiting for shed to chime in with his north/south chip on his shoulder
Oh dear. Is that really the best you can do? And by the way, I refer to the UK regions in general (not just my own). The imbalance of state-funded infrastructure spending between the SE and all other regions of the UK is a matter of public record however much you may wish to dismiss that fact from consideration with derogatory remarks.

the reality is an expanded LHR benefits all the UK as much as it already does the south.
Repeating this mantra ad infinitum doesn't make it true. You have form for ignoring inconvenient data throughout this debate.

This £18bn figure is the very top estimate and it is more likely to be much much less than that.
If you adjudge this 'likely' presumably you will be happy to enlighten us on precisely where TfL's calculations are in error.

to Amsterdam and onto long haul flights as it is far easier that driving or taking the train plus luggage to Manchester or London.
AMS is a competitive option, hence the widespread offering of regional connections by KLM and others. However, Manchester Airport Rail Station is located at the heart of the terminals complex and is well connected across the North of England and lowland Scotland. It is also a very convenient option for many travellers.

hence the risk being almost completely taken on by the owners of LHR
Except for the small matter of £18Bn which isn't. And the rest may yet be underwritten by the taxpayer too.

another reason it is such a good deal for the UK.
You are becoming an increasingly desperate voice in your quest to solicit general acceptance for this absurd notion.