PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Liberal Party wins, Bombardier wins
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2016, 18:10
peekay4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It wasn't that long ago you said Bombardier was done.
What I've repeatedly said is that the CSeries has been a financial disaster; that Bombardier will not be able to recoup their investment for decades (if ever); that the investment by Quebec (and possibly the Feds) is unfair for taking on all the risks and little of the rewards; and that any further missteps from Bombardier may threaten the solvency of the company.

And I stand by all those comments.

I also for months wrote what steps Bombardier management must take to get out of this mess, including selling the CSeries at an upfront loss (e.g., detailed in this post from way back in October) -- which BBD supporters in this thread said was complete nonsense but now has been proven exactly true with the $500 million accounting write down for the Air Canada & Delta deals.

On the CS500, Bombardier "sources" now walking away from the concept:

Bombardier not studying bigger version of CSeries jet: sources | Business | Reuters

MONTREAL/PARIS (Reuters) - Canada's Bombardier BBDb.TO is not looking at building a bigger version of its CSeries jetliner, three people close to the company said on Wednesday.

There has been persistent analyst and media speculation that Bombardier would add a third member of its slow-selling 108-130-seat jet family to compete with best-selling Airbus AIR.PA and Boeing BA.N models that carry at least 150 people.

But despite earlier suggestions that Bombardier could enlarge its new jet to boost sales, the so-called 'CS500' version, which could cost up to $750 million to develop, is not being considered, the people said.
Without a CS500, Bombardier cannot be a serious threat to take on Airbus & Boeing. And again it means Bombardier is unlikely to ever recoup the investment made into the CSeries program, even if they sell CS100s and CS300s by the thousands.