PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merlin makes a splash at Wyvern Tor
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2016, 14:43
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
And reminds me of the day a Sea King, due to have some Mods rapidly fitted prior to a rather urgent trip "Down South" with the Task Force in 1982, was not shut down on the airfield at Lee-on-Solent prior to a tow to the hangar, but was authorised by ATC to hover-taxi from the active runway to the hangar hardstanding to speed up the process. This evolution entailed the SK threading itself through a narrow gap between two large blocks of cars parked on the airfield due to emergency car parking restrictions being in force on the base at the time. The brightly painted 55 gal drums used to denote the limits of said car park areas took this breezy opportunity to depart in various directions, at various altitudes and at various velocities. Once the inevitable carnage was complete, being the newest junior Erk on the Section, I was swiftly volunteered by everyone else to deliver the Fleet Chief's (now WO1's) front number plate to him! His intense annoyance at being interrupted by a mere minion was swiftly replaced by utter anguish when I explained that the number plate I had in my hand had been removed from the front of his car by a flying 55 gal oil drum working on the principle of an airborne scythe! Yes, it is true, WO's do cry!!!!!!!

Last edited by Hot 'n' High; 7th May 2016 at 15:10.