PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2016, 21:18
Prophead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So it is about Manchester then.

People will not invest in the north east because they can fly to Manchester and get taxis from there. LHR expansion is about opening up every regional to long haul flights for both incoming and outgoing passengers.

People want to be able to buy a ticket from LBA to LA using a 45 minute shuttle down to LHR and then transfer onto their long haul flight. If there is a problem with the domestic flight the airline knows about it and can make arrangements. They do not leave the airport environment and the transfer will be as seemless as possible.

This is a much preferable option to using the train or M62 where anything can happen and luggage has to be hauled around. The fact the MAN supporters are so worried about losing flights just goes to show that you know people would prefer the LHR option.

I know you Manchester airport lovers can't accept this, I know you want everyone in the north to use your local airport and all future investment to be centred around there but the north is not just about Manchester. Please do not hide behind a north south investment divide, you want all northern investment to the north west which is what this is about.

Getting from York, north of Leeds and south Yorkshire is a pain. I did it many times as the only other option was the M1 or even worse the train and a slog through London. Once I started using the LBA to LHR flight there was no going back.

We also have the fact that more direct flights from the UK will be possible as one airport will cover the whole of the UK. However important you think Manchester is there are many destinations that will never be served as the traffic just isn't there. This will mean a connection down route. Bringing people from many regional's to one main hub will allow destinations to be served that otherwise will not.